Monday, August 29, 2011

Smack-Dab in this Review.

I received a copy of Brennan Manning and John Blase's book for children titled Smack-Dab in the Middle of God's Love from Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze blogger review program.
Upon first glance, it's nothing special, just what you'd expect from your average children's book, lots of pictures and a few words.
I like the point that Manning and Blase try to make for the kids, but I'm not sure it's suitable for all ages. What I mean is, my daughter's are 4-years-old, and while they were very excited to have a new book and asked me to read it to them over and over again at first, I'm not sure they really understood the point.
I know they enjoyed the story, and of course they liked looking through the pictures. I just don't think it spoke to them yet at this age, and that could be because it's a bit vague for the average 4-year-old.
All that being said, I think this is a pretty fair effort in trying to convey the message of God's love in a way that slightly older children, I'm thinking maybe even 6 or 7, can appreciate. However, if your children are younger than 5, or you have a problem with an evangelistic message, this book is not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment