Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hero Death

It seems that too often in our lives we are slapped, suddenly and unexpectedly, with the death of our heroes. It only makes sense that this is always a shock to us. They're our heroes. Nothing can hurt them...until it kills them.

Recently, today in fact, I have experienced just such a loss. The loss that I'm sure a thousand other people across the US, maybe even the world, are writing, at the very least, a blurb about. The loss of Kirby Puckett.

Maybe it shouldn't be a shock, I mean, he's always been quite overweight, I heard a local sportscaster, Randy Shaver, describe him as "more of a bowling ball than a gazelle" just this morning. And anyone who watched Kirby would've had to nod their head, if not chuckle, a little anyway.

Somebody reading this will question that I just call him Kirby and not 'Mr. Puckett'. If that's you, you're not from Minnesota, when Kirby was playing here we weren't just watching baseball, we were inviting him into our living rooms, into our homes, into our hearts. He became a part of our family, along with many others during that time.

There is no man, woman, or child alive that can deny hearing his name called '...Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Puuuuuuuckett...' would send a chill down your spine, because you just knew this guy was great.

He may not have hit the most home runs, or stole the most bases, but he love us, and we loved him, and when he left, we all knew that baseball in Minnesota would not be the same for a very long time, in fact, it may never be.

I don't know why I choose now, and this to start my blog. I've thought about it before, but this time I did it. Maybe it will be a good outlet for my frustrations at work, and at home, with family and friends alike.

But today I want to share with those who are mourning with me. The ones who, as my co-workers have said this morning, aren't in need of a help line, and just want to send a card to the family to let them know they have our support.

If you never got the chance to sit in 'the dome' and hear his name called, I'm truly sorry, if you did, I'm truly sorry.

As I leave you I am listen to a rendition of a hero song with newscuts of 'Puck' and in his words," you have to do one thing for me, promise me you will not take life for granted (because you never know when it will end)."




Give here!!



No comments:

Post a Comment